Nigerian musician, Azeez Fashola, aka Naira Marley, was arrested on May 10, 2019 alongside rapper, Zlatan Ibile, Rahman Jago, Guccy Branch and one other.
· He was arrested for alleged money laundering.
· Marley, known for his single “Issa Goal”, was slammed with 11- count charges.
· Marley stands risk of spending 7 years in jail if found guilty in accordance with Section 33 (2) of the Cyber Crimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc) Act, 2015.
· Naira Marley who claimed to have been arrested 124 times in the UK appeared before a Lagos high court, May 20, 2019.
· Some of the counts in the charges filed against Naira Marley includes, “That you, Azeez Adeshina Fashola, aka Naira Marley, and Raze (still at large), on or about the 11th day of December 2018, within the jurisdiction of this honorable court, conspired amongst yourselves to use Access card 42658840359191132 issued to persons other than you in a bid to obtain gain and you thereby committed an offense contrary to Section 27(1)(b) of the Cyber Crimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc) Act 2015 and punishable under Section 33(2) of the Same Act.
· “That you, Azeez Adeshina Fashola, aka Naira Marley, and Raze (still at large), on or about the 10th day of May 2019, within the jurisdiction of this honorable court, with intent to defraud possessed, counterfeit card 4921819410257431 issued to Timea Fedorne Tatar and you thereby committed an offense contrary to and punishable under Section 33(9) of Cyber Crimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc) Act 2015.”
· Naira Marley pleaded not guilty before Justice Nicolas Oweibo.
· The judge adjourned until May 30 for hearing of his bail application.
· Justice Oweibo ordered that the musician be remanded in prison custody until his bail application is determined.
. Naira Marley appeared before High Court in Lagos on Thursday, May 30
. He was granted bail for N2millon with two sureties in like sum.
. Justice Nicholas Oweibo ruled that one of the sureties must be on Grade Level 10 in the Federal or state employment.
. The other surety must have a landed property within the court’s jurisdiction.
. The judge adjourned until October 22 for trial.