Waidi Akanni, an ex-international, on Thursday urged the Super Eagles midfielders to create more scoring chances at the ongoing 2019 Egypt Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) to enable the strikers to score more goals.
Akanni, who gave the advice in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Lagos, said that he was impressed with the team’s performance in the continental football tournament.
NAN reports that the Super Eagles won their first match against Burundi with a 1-0 score line and subsequently won their match against the Syli Stars of Guinea with a similar score line.
“I’m impressed but I want more scoring opportunities that will give me and a lot of Nigerians more confidence.
“The midfield is the engine room of the strikers and I need them to do more. They need to intensify their efforts and create more scoring chances.
“We need to ensure that we keep playing cohesively in order to sustain the winning momentum,’’ the former midfielder said.
With the six points garnered from the two matches played so far in the AFCON, the Super Eagles have already qualified for the next round of the tournament.
Nigeria’s will trade tackles with The Barea of Madagascar in the last Group B match at the Alexandria Stadium on June 30.
The former Chairman of the Lagos State Football Association, also urged the players to continue to take the proceedings at the tournament one-game at a time in order not to lose focus.
“Taking each game at a time will help us focus on our game. We should be focused and shun distractions.
“Also the team should watch video clips of their next opponent so that they will have a depth of their opponent’s playing pattern, ’’ Akanni said.
NAN reports that Kenneth Omeruo, scored the vital winning goal in the 73rd minute of the keenly contested match and also won the CAF man-of-the-match award.
- SPORT LIFENigerians should demand more from Rohr – Akpoborie
- Rohr, 25 Super Eagles players honour Keshi at 2nd memorial lecture
- Here’s what Kanu Nwankwo thinks about the new Super Eagles kit
- Joseph Yobo appointed as Super Eagles’ Assistant Coach
- SPORT LIFE: I’m happy Nigeria qualified for AFCON – Leon Balogun
- SPORT LIFE: Glo hails Special Olympians
- SPORT LIFE,Friendly: Eagles held to goalless draw by Zimbabwe
- ‘You must ensure Super Eagles qualify for the world cup in Qatar 2022’ – House of Reps tasks NFF
- NFF budgets N7.5b for 2020 as Sanusi gets new five-year deal
- ETEBO: Hard work, discipline behind my success
- Khashoggi’s fiancee berates Italian football over Saudi-hosted game
- Femi Kuti, others to perform at opening ceremony of 2019 AFCON
- Footballer, Jude Ighalo and wife, Sonia, delete each other’s pictures from their IG pages amidst reports of crisis in their marriage
- Super Eagles of Nigeria and Everton star, Alex Iwobi took to Instagram to share this cute family photo to ring in the Year 2020.
- SPORT LIFE: 2019 AFCON: Eagles’ll do well – Nwafor