Veteran actors Ameachi Muonagor and Monalisa Chinda have starred in an upcoming TV drama titled ‘Silent Prejudice.’
Produced by Chris Oge Kalu, the TV series is targeted at correcting the Osu caste system, a cultural belief that is popular in the South Eastern part of Nigeria.
Kalu revealed that the caste system is still active in the southeast and is a cause for alarm. According to him, that was the reason he researched it and wants to use ‘Silent Prejudice’ to sensitise the public about such culture.
“Osu caste system is a tradition that subjects people or refers to some people as second class or inferior to others, and from what we know and what has been practiced over the years, it is believed that these people are referred to as Osu.
“People, who due to pressure from family or enemies, deliberately take themselves to the shrine to dedicate their lives; in fact they go to seek protection from the deity, and at that point, they are regarded as properties of the deity.
“There were those who violated the principles of the system so they are also regarded to as Osu. Some of the guiding principles are you do not marry, you cannot buy or sell from an Osu, you cannot sleep with an Osu, you don’t have the right to choice properties in your community, you cannot ascend to any leadership position in your community.”
“The angle we are taking it from is to unveil the level of hypocrisy behind this belief that our people still hold on to,” said Kalu who revealed that 13 episodes have been shot for season 1.
“We intend to move from one culture to the other because from what I’m gathering, the Yoruba also practice this culture.”
- Nollywood films promotes money ritual and kidnapping – Fashola
- Femi Koya plans return to Nigeria
- Gunmen kill warder and one other in Kaduna, abduct 13-year-old girl
- Ambode inaugurates jetty, ferries
- Pirates allegedly kill four Nigerian navy personnel in Ondo community
- 12-year jail term: EFCC opposes bail for Orji Kalu
- Abia APC lauds Buhari’s attention to Southeast
- Kalu hails Ekiti governor
- Tade Ogidan Pairs RMD, Sola Sobowale For ‘Gold Statue’ 21 Years After ‘Diamond Ring’
- [NOTICE] TO SURVIVE LAGOS : DON’T DO ANY OF THESE.
- Kalu to court: Free me on bail, I need my herbalist . Senator tendered one-year-old medical report, says EFCC
- UAE extends the duration of tourist visas to 5 years for all nationalities
- Osun monarch cautions against abuse of tradition
- Beauty queen unveils anti malaria campaign
- Celebrating Igbo’s Rich Culture