AN official of the Dutse Emirate Council in Jigawa State yesterday claimed the mother of Atiku Abubakar, the presidential candidate of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), was from the state.
The royal father, who did not want to be named, said Atiku’s mother was the daughter of late Abdullahi from Jigawar Sarki in Jigawa State.
He told reporters in Dutse, the state capital, that he craved anonymity because the issue of Atiku’s origin had been politicised.
The ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) had alleged that Atiku is not a citizen of Nigeria and, therefore, not qualified to contest the presidential election.
Countering a petition filed by Atiku to challenge the victory of President Muhammadu Buhari in the February 23 election, the ruling party argued that the former vice president was born on November 25, 1946, in Jada, Adamawa State, which was then in Northern Cameroon.
Read also: I’m a Nigerian by birth, Atiku replies APC
But the monarch dismissed the point raised by the APC.
”As a royal father in Jigawa, I don’t want my name to be mentioned because they have politicised the whole issue.
“However, I can confirm that the late Mrs. Kande was from Dutse and her uncle, Adamu Ma’aruf, was the Chief Imam of Dutse Central Mosque until he died five years after the creation of the state in 1991,” he said.
Isyaku Adamu, a centenarian, also corroborated what the royal father said.
He said Atiku’s mother, who was known as “Kande Yar-Malam”, married Garba, Atiku’s father, who came from Sokoto.
“He settled at our house, popularly called ‘Gidan Malamai’ (Scholars’ House). There, he met and married Kande and took her to present day Adamawa State, where Abubakar was born,” he told reporters.
“Abubakar’s mother, Kande, was junior to Alhaji Ali and Azumi; they are all late now. Kande was our daughter and Abubakar is our grandson. We are all Fulani by tribe; our forefathers are scholars here in Dutse, that’s why our home is called Gidan Malamai.”
Atiku has insisted that he was born by Nigerian parents and he is, therefore, a citizen of Nigeria by birth.
- Atiku’s daughter describes tenure under APC as memorable
- Atiku reacts to massacre of 30 people in Borno by Boko Haram
- Buhari Meets Fayemi, Bagudu
- Atiku: June 12 soul of democratic Nigeria’s struggle
- Govt, PDP row over ‘threat to democracy
- Three arrested by police for stealing a 4-year-old child in Ogun
- Dah Face : isolate – CEO of Astech aluminum & stainless Technology
- Five things you didn’t know about Nollywood’s Felix Ugo Omokhodion
- Indian father who mistakenly thought he had caught coronavirus hung himself to protect his family from the disease
- 2019 poll: INEC replacing servers to conceal rigging, says PDP
- You must kill me too- father of Remo stars footballer, Kazeem Tiyamu grabs SARS officer over the death of his son (video)
- Here is a list of popular Nigerian celebrities who came from a wealthy home. Trust me, these 10 celebrities will wow you.
- Buhari vs Atiku: Tribunal warns against comments
- SPORT LIFE: RUM Deputy Governor, 8 others make Edo team
- Police recover Edo girl sold for N850,000