Burna Boy’s mother, Bose Ogulu got a rapturous response following an epic acceptance speech at the BET Awards on Monday.
The 2019 edition of the award which celebrates black people in film, music and arts, was held at the Microsoft Theatre in California.
News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Ogulu received her son’s award for ‘Best International Act’ and thereafter reminded the African-Americans to keep Africa in mind.
She said, “Thank you BET, Thank you, Africa, because that’s the constituency for which we got noticed in the first place.
“The message from Burna, I believe will be that every black person should please remember that you were Africans before you became anything else,”
The speech earned her a standing ovation and viral reactions on social media, especially from African-Americans who agreed with her statement.
Hollywood actress, Yvette Nicole-Brown @YNB know Twitter, wrote, “Wisdom from @BurnaBoy’s mother #ForTheCulture at the @BET Awards:
“Remember, you were African before you were anything else. #BurnaBoy”
@KLE1967 said, “I’m happy to hear that. That’s an important message.”
@Edice tweeted, “Mother was deep with that statement! I felt that.”
NAN reports that Burna Boy’s mother has caught fan’s attention several times for her liveliness on stage, especially at shows and award ceremonies.
In January, she stole the show at the Soundcity MVP awards where her son clinched four awards, including the African Artist of the Year.
After appreciating producer, Phantom and Kanye West for the success of ‘Ye’, she told the crowd, “: “Expect more madness from Burnaboy this year.”
- BET Awards: I’m not crazy on awards but this one means a lot – Burna Boy
- Shades of Burna: Making of an African Giant
- BET: Burna Boy wins ‘Best International Act’
- Stefflon Don, others celebrate Burna Boy’s BET Award at Quilox
- BET to honour Nipsey Hussle with humanitarian award
- Burna Boy wins Best International Act at BET Awards
- It only made the victory more sweet ‘- Super Falcon star, Asisat Oshoala reacts after Nigerian officials didn’t vote for her to win the CAF Award
- Burna Boy wins Best International Act at the BET Awards 2020: Full Winners List
- Chika Ike’s Small chops movie reviews have been up the chart since release
- Beyoncé features Tiwa, Wizkid, Yemi Alade, Burna Boy, Mr Eazi in new ‘Lion King’ album
- Mo Abudu to chair 47th International Emmy Award Gala
- African film makers storm Dallas for TAFF 2019
- Beyoncé’s ‘Homecoming’ documentary lands six Emmy nominations
- Sony Music West Africa welcomes Oluwaseun Lloyd as General Manager
- [NEWS] Burna Boy ‘Disrespects’ Former Super Eagles Striker, Obafemi Martins