President Muhammadu Buhari on Friday afternoon observed Juma’at prayer at the Grand Mosque in Makkah with other Heads of State and Government.
Buhari and other heads of government were in the Holy City for the Summit of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation, OIC,
A statement by the Senior Special Assistant on Media and publicity, Garba Shehu, said that the 14th session of the Summit Conference of the OIC hosted by Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, will commence at midnight.
Shortly on his arrival in Makkah on Thursday evening, President Buhari, accompanied by the Governors of Osun, Niger and Jigawa, performed the Umrah.
The President and the accompanying delegation circumambulated the Ka’aba before visiting the area between the al-Marwah and al-Safa hills, itself a distance of between three and four kilometres in the Grand Mosque, which is part of the Umrah process.
The Umrah is a Muslim pilgrimage to Mecca that can be undertaken at any time of the year, unlike the Hajj which has a fixed time.
It is called the lesser pilgrimage, whereas the Hajj is the “major” pilgrimage which is compulsory for every able-bodied Muslim who can afford it. The Umrah is optional but recommended
- President Buhari leaves Madinah for Makkah
- Buhari, 53 leaders attend Islamic Cooperation summit in S/Arabia
- I’m leaving peace, security, legacy – Ajimobi
- President Buhari speaks on the Coronavirus pandemic (video)
- ‘Don’t let terrorists turn you against Muslims – President Buhari begs Christians after new ISWAP execution goes viral
- Cabals are not controlling my government – Buhari
- Suspected Boko Haram members attack Maiduguri hours after President Buhari’s visit
- Man arrested for storming into a London mosque to stab a Muslim crier as he called worshippers to afternoon prayers (Photos/Videos)
- Osinbajo to Saraki: Thanks for not taking advantage of power vacuum
- Buhari hails OIC response to African development challenges
- Peterside: Buhari committed to Nigeria’s growth
- June 12: Tinubu seeks urgent legislative action
- Buhari can’t intervene in increased electricity charges – Femi Adesina
- Buhari approves Ahmed Kadi Amshi as Chairman, NASC …Two additional members for NAHCON
- ‘Buhari’s re-election best for Nigeria’