The faceoff between Edo state governor, Godwin Obaseki and the APC National chairman, Adams Oshiomole, has taken a new turn with the state governor threatening to expel Oshiomole from the party if he continues his ”anti-party” activities. Obaseki’s faction of the APC in December 2019, suspended Oshiomole from its party.
Both men have been at loggerheads over who should control the affairs of the party in the state.
Obaseki handed down the threat when he spoke at a meeting of the 18 APC local government chairmen in the state.
Reacting to the political rally Oshiomole organised last weekend in Auchi, Etsako West local government area where thousands of people from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) defected to the APC, the governor said former governor would not have tolerated a fraction of the things he has put him through since he became governor.
He maintained that should Oshiomole come to the state again to have a ”power tussle” with him, he would show him that he is the governor and controls the affairs of the state.
“All this nonsense they are doing, if anybody in the name of our party tries to do anything contrary to what we have agreed as a party, we will deal with that person ruthlessly no matter who he is.
If you are elected a chairman, your attitude should show if you believe in the party. Party supremacy means the leadership of the party must respect the membership. It is the members that make the party supreme because the members subscribed to a constitution which governs the conduct of the party. One man cannot be the party.
We are warning the suspended National Chairman. If he continues his activities in Edo State, I will show him that I am the Governor of Edo State. While he was Governor, he will not tolerate a fraction of the misdemeanor and misbehaviour he is undertaking today.
I have declared that if Oshiomhole comes here to Edo to say he wants to disrupt the activities of the state and the party we will deal with him the way we know how best to do it. Comrade Oshiomhole stands suspended from the party. In due course, we will expel him if he does not behave. The party does not belong to him, it belongs to all of us.” Obaseki said
Oshiomole is yet to react to Obaseki’s threat.
- APC senatorial candidate leads 20,000 supporters back to PDP
- PDP governors reject el-Rufai in two-man race for NGF chairman
- Edo housing agency sets to sell reclaimed properties at BDPA Estate, Ugbowo
- I’ll not abuse my office, Abiodun pledges
- NGF election: Ambode, Ganduje felicitate with Fayemi, Bagudu
- Breaking: Sanwo-Olu’s election as Lagos gov. upheld by Supreme court
- Cut cost to implement N30,000 minimum wage, Makinde advised
- Afenifere, Fayose, others: victory well deserved
- I think Agba Jalingo should be released – Governor Ben Ayade says as he denies ordering the journalist’s arrest
- Call warring leaders to order, APC chieftain tells President