Emir of Kano, Muhammad Sanusi has called for the arrest of fathers who send out their children as almajiris.
Speaking at a conference organized by the Future Assured Initiative, a non-governmental organisation of First Lady Aisha Buhari, in collaboration with the Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA) on Thursday February 20, the Kano monarch said there is no law that backs a man to marry, have children and abandon them without living up to his responsibility to them.
Emir Sanusi told men who are too poor to take care of their family, to go out themselves and beg instead of sending their children.
“Every day, wives are complaining about their husbands who claim their rights but abandon their responsibilities of marriage, women being divorced with their husbands not taking care of the children and those children ending up on the streets, drugs, political thuggery, violent extremism,” he said.
“No law that talks about consent in marriage, the rights of wives and husbands, domestic violence , rights of women divorced , the responsibilities of husbands under divorce situations, if a child is found on the streets, is the father that is responsible and can the state hold him accountable?
“Do you just marry and have children without any responsibilities? The reason Allah send His Prophets is that there should be justice in this world. Justice in our relationship with our maker and in our relationship with our fellow human beings.
“Justice means that everyone is given his rights. If a man takes the privilege of being the head of the family, he takes the responsibilities of being the provider of the family. You cannot take that privilege and a band the responsibilities.
“Is it a fact that a father has the right to force his daughter into a loveless marriage? that you have the rights to batter you wife? You have the right to have children and push them to the streets to beg? That when you divorce your wife, you ask her and her children to pack and go back to her father’s house and that is the end?
“I can spend 100 years saying that it is wrong and un-Islamic for a man to beat his wife, but it is the Governor and the state house of assembly that should pass the law, it is the courts and the police that will make sure that the woman gets justice. The Scholars and Emirs cannot do that.
“So, the problem is these groups of human beings are those who will stand to answer to Allah if there is no justice.
“The traditional and religious leaders have an obligation to ask for justice, but those with the political powers have an obligation to put in place the processes that will make sure that these justices are complied with.”
- “I met my wife in jail” US politician shares his love story
- Philip Schofield’s wife breaks her silence after her husband came out as gay after 27 years of marriage
- One week after, abducted Ondo monarch’s wife, daughters regain freedom
- Jay-Z and Beyonce pictured together with their children in lovely family photoJay-Z and Beyonce pictured together with their children in lovely family photo
- Three siblings die in fire outbreak in their home in Ibadan
- Kcee Announces Birth Of His Third Child, A Baby Boy With His Beautiful Wife
- Major reasons marriages fail…
- Things You Need to Know About Mexican Mail Order Wives
- Days after her hubby asked men not to marry women who can’t cook, Pastor Folu Adeboye urges women to teach their children how to cook
- Teacher arrested for allegedly spreading fake news on kidnap of Kaduna Doctor’s wife and children
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s partner Georgina Rodriguez calls him her ‘husband’ in gushing post on her 26th birthday
- Simi calls for better protection of women from assault, rape
- ‘You don’t have to be married to make heaven’ – Daddy Freeze
- Footballer, Jude Ighalo and wife, Sonia, delete each other’s pictures from their IG pages amidst reports of crisis in their marriage
- KCEE And Wife Welcome Baby Boy on Wife’s Birthday