GOVERNMENT has been tasked to bear the cost of managing chronic diseases through a robust health insurance policy.
Speaking at the World Scleroderma Day organised by Me and Sclero Foundation in collaboration with the Rheumatology Unit, Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH), which was held yesterday at LASUTH, a consultant rheumatologist, LASUTH, Professor Femi Adelowo, pointed out that government needs to bear the cost of managing diseases such as Scleroderma just as it is applicable in developed countries through robust health insurance policy.
Speaking about management of Scleroderma, another consultant rheumatologist, LASUTH, Dr. Babtunde Olaosebikan, pointed out that Scleroderma is not curable just as other chronic diseases like hypertension, diabetes, asthma, but can be managed and treated if patients present it early.
Olaosebikan also urged patients to present themselves early to their rheumatologist as well as belong to patient support groups available in their state or country.
“They must also comply with medications and regular follow up visits,” he warned.
On her part, the convener of the programme and Executive Director, Me and Sclero Foundation, Sarah Jato, narrated how she was diagnosed of the disease in 2006 and how she has been managing it ever since.”Planning a day was nonexistent. I could go to bed as bright as day and wake up darker than the darkest hour, feeling grotty, completely down and out. I lacked self confidence; I couldn’t even further my education because I was always in and out of hospital. I lost it all, my hair thinned out and faded. I was a long way from feeling insecure
- Foundation sponsors eye treatment of 400 patients
- Doctors bemoan state of public hospitals
- Inside LASUTH’s psychiatric ward
- Lagos Govt Spends Up To N1m Daily On Each Coronavirus Patient – Health Commissioner, Abayomi
- HEALTH UPDATE: Here are the seven silent signs of heart attack you shouldn’t ignored….. By Dr~Protocol
- Imo doctors suspend strike as Ihedioha wades in
- ‘Cancer can be treated, managed locally’
- Abia is the only state mentioned in the bible, Coronavirus will pass us by- Governor Okezie Ikpeazu (video)
- FORUM Nnamani seeks increased enlightenment, funding of sickle cell societies
- We can see faintly now, say Kaduna eye patients blinded by injection
- Omowunmi releases new album ‘ In her feeling’
- Our government hates us- Bolanle Olukanni, Ifuennada, others react to Lagos state government’s decision to ban Okada, Keke NAPEP
- UNIZIK student confirmed as first Lassa Fever patient in Anambra State
- Buhari is most democratic ex-military head of state – Bello
- How Do You Know When You Have An STD?… By Dr~Protocol