Also, medical practitioner, Philip Akinwande, combination of the two causes of defect is known as multifactorial birth defect. This defect is caused by a combination of genes and environmental exposures. In other words, a person can inherit a gene that increases sensitivity to an environmental trigger such as cleft lip.”
Birth defects can be diagnosed before a baby is born through prenatal tests, which also help determine if a mother has an infection or other condition that is dangerous to the foetus. This can help in knowing about the baby’s condition ahead of time and planning for the future. Other birth defects can also be found during routine newborn check up most especially sickle cell disease.
Parents who have concerns about another specific birth defect may have their baby tested for it and possibly talk to a doctor before the baby is born.
When a congenital defect is discovered, a complete physical examination is important to discover and rule out multiple malformations. A detailed examination should include neurological functions and reflexes, head, neck, facial features, skin, chest wall, heart and lungs, abdomen, genitalia and anus, spine and back.
Research has shown that congenital heart defects occur in about 1 in 110 births and have a variety of causes, including genetic abnormalities or a mistake during foetal development. Some may be so mild that they have no visible symptoms.
Heart defect symptoms include heart rhythms, shortness of breath, failure to feed or develop normally. Down syndrome includes lazy eyes or spots, difficulty in thinking, up slanting palpebral fissures, displacement of the tongue, and excess skin at the back of the neck. Cleft lip, palate includes physical deformity, hearing loss, mouth breathing, nasal congestion and speech disorder. Spina bifida symptoms are muscle weakness, bed-wetting, hunched back, nerve injury, and paralysis of the body’s lower half or physical deformity.
Habits that could lead to birth defect
Akinwande stated that there are many bad habits that women indulge in, which could lead to birth defect. He said: “Women who smoke have high risk of giving birth to a child with a defect. Also high alcohol intake can destroy some organs in the baby’s body that is why it is advised to stay away from alcohol when pregnant. Eating unhealthy diet, taking harmful substances can also lead to birth defect.”
Experts say many birth defects can’t be prevented, but that a woman can do some things, before and during pregnancy, to help lower the chances of having a baby with a birth defect.
Said he: “There are many steps a woman can take to lower her chances of having a child with defect, including staying healthy before deciding to become pregnant. This is because a woman often does not know when she is pregnant in the first few weeks, which can be crucial for the health and development of the body.
“Before pregnancy, women should make sure their vaccinations are up to date, make sure they don’t have any sexually transmitted disease, avoid unnecessary medicines and talk to a doctor about the medicines they are taking. They should ensure they take the recommended dose of folic acid for this is good for the health.”
Because the symptoms and problems caused by birth defects differ, treatments also differ. Treatments range from medications, therapies to surgeries and assistive devices. Assistive devices include orthopaedic braces to help patients with limb defects to walk and cochlear implants for hearing impairment. Steroid medications, such as prednisone, can help people with muscular dystrophy increase muscle strength, ability. Physical therapy is also useful for building strength and reducing weakness.
Best foods for pregnant women
It is very important to maintain a healthy diet during pregnancy. It is the time the body needs additional nutrients, vitamins and minerals. A diet that lacks key nutrients may negatively affect the baby’s development. Consume dairy products for a good source of calcium, magnesium and various B vitamins. Also, legumes such as peas, beans, soybeans are excellent for protein, iron and all that the body needs during pregnancy. Eggs are ultimate health foods because they contain a bit of almost every nutrient you need, fish liver oil, berries, whole grains, and water are essential for good development during pregnancy.
- Pregnant Malika Haqq reveals O.T. Genasis is her baby’s father as they celebrate together at their baby shower (Photos/Video)
- Rapper, Olamide expects child with ex-lover Maria Okan
- Vaginal Infection, Reason Some Women Deliver Premature Babies —Study
- WWE twins Nikki and Brie Bella announce they are both pregnant at the same time
- ‘Migraine increases risk of pregnancy complications’
- My Delayed Delivery……. By Dr~protocol
- I Will Love To Be With My Wife In Labour Room – Regina Daniels’ Hubby Says On Live Video
- HEALTH UPDATE: Does sobo drinks cause miscarriage?…. By Dr~Protocol
- HEALTH UPDATE: Contractions during pregnancy and their implication ~By Dr – Protocol
- HEALTH UPDATE: Here are the seven silent signs of heart attack you shouldn’t ignored….. By Dr~Protocol
- HEALTH UPDATE: Side effects of sanitary pads… By Dr~protocol
- US actress Chloe Sevigny pregnant with her first child at 45
- England football star is expecting a child with an Instagram model after secret romance behind his partner’s back
- Simi announces birth of her first child, “Adejare” with Adekunle Gold
- Nigerian woman who got married in 1984, delivers baby after missing her menstruation for 13 years