Strokes can affect anyone, old and young and the symptoms can vary from person to person but usually, they are very sudden.
As different parts of your brain control different parts of your body, your symptoms will depend on the part of your brain affected and the extent of the damage.
They occur when the blood supply to part of your brain is interrupted or reduced, depriving brain tissue of oxygen and nutrients. This means within a few minutes, brain cells begin to die.
Strokes aren’t always life threatening but the earlier you get help for someone who you think may be suffering one, the better it is for them.
Prompt treatment is crucial to minimize how much brain damage and further complication the person is left with.
Recognising a stroke
S – Ask the person to SMILE
T – Can they TALK? Ask if they can speak a simple sentence.
R – See if they can raise both arms
If they can’t do any one of these, call 999.
Not all sufferers share the same signs, according to the NHS, other symptoms include
- complete paralysis of one side of the body
- sudden loss or blurring of vision
- difficulty understanding what others are saying
- problems with balance and coordination
- difficulty swallowing (dysphagia)
- a sudden and very severe headache resulting in a blinding pain unlike anything experienced before
- loss of consciousness.
If you do experience these symptoms, it doesn’t always mean it’s a stroke. Symptoms of a stroke that disappear quickly and in less than 24 hours could be signs of a transient ischaemic attack
TIAs are like mini-strokes and usually last a few minutes or hours before disappearing altogether. A TIA means there isn’t enough oxygen going to the brain. In its early stages, a TIA and a stroke look similar, so you should seek help either way.
A TIA is also a warning that you may suffer a stroke in the future.
- Here are some early warning Signs of stoke you need to know… Dr~Protocol
- HEALTH UPDATE: Here are the five most common conditions that can lead to faecal incontinence. By Dr~protocol
- HEALTH UPDATE: Symptoms of Kidneys disease in diabetes patient…. By Dr~Protocol
- These are the warning signs of high blood sugar when you wee. When you could be at risk… By Dr~ Protocol
- HEALTH UPDATE: Beating the glaucoma challenge
- How Do You Know When You Have An STD?… By Dr~Protocol
- HEALTH UPDATE: here are the symptoms of high cholesterol you shouldn’t ignore… By Dr~protocol
- HEALTH UPDATE: Here are some quality signals your liver send you when it loaded with toxic… By Dr~Protocol
- HEALTH UPDATE: How to calculate your cycle lengths.. By Dr~protocol
- HEALTH UPDATE: Here’s everything you need to know about instant noodles… By Dr~protocol
- Everything You Want to Know About Depression…… By Dr~protocol
- HEALTH UPDATE: Here are the seven silent signs of heart attack you shouldn’t ignored….. By Dr~Protocol
- HEALTH UPDATE: Everything you need to know about ear-wax and removal…. By Dr~protocol
- Health benefits of drinking water— By Dr~Protocol
- Sickle Cell World Day: 10 things you should know about the condition