THE Senator representing Oyo Central, Monsurat Sunmonu yesterday recounted how scores of residents of Ibadan community chased her and members of her entourage with cutlasses and other dangerous weapons over an alleged government’s neglect and unfulfilled electoral promises.
The lawmaker, who presided over Oyo State House of Assembly for four years as the first female Speaker, said she escaped death by the whiskers as the irate residents vented their anger during a campaign tour to Oke Ayotuntun Oki, Egbeda Local Government, Ibadan, Oyo State .
Senator Sunmonu spoke at the inauguration and handing over of the Ibadan Erosion Control Project to the Oke Ayotuntun Oki community yesterday.
The project, which includes drainages, bridges, and 3.3-kilometre asphalt road, was facilitated by Senator Sunmonu and funded through the Ecological Fund Office in the office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (OSGF).
The former Speaker lamented the lack of communication between the people and their representatives, saying that it was disturbing and disheartening that the people at times failed to hold their representatives accountable, thereby encouraging neglect and ineptitude.
The elated lawmaker, who was given a rousing welcome by a jubilant crowd, urged the people to always hold their elected representatives accountable by reminding them of the promises made during campaigns.
She noted that her four-year tenure as senator representing the people of Oyo Central was an opportunity to facilitate the construction and rehabilitation of Oyo/Ogbomoso road, completion of Oke Ayotuntun erosion control project and many more for the development of the senatorial district.
President Mohammadu Buhari, who was represented by the Minister of Health, Prof. Isaac Adewole, said there was no doubt that the project would bring relief to the residents of the communities.
He added that the project was among the 19 Federal Government’s ecological intervention projects approved by the Federal Executive Council for the first quarter of 2018.
- 12 Kaduna members-elect back Gbajabiamila/Wase for House leadership
- Abia is the only state mentioned in the bible, Coronavirus will pass us by- Governor Okezie Ikpeazu (video)
- Makinde appoints Taiwo Adisa as CPS
- Taraba Speaker resigns after prolonged squabbles with governor
- Senator Adeyemi decries deplorable state of Kogi roads ….. As Senate mandates FERMA to carry out repair works on Itobe-Ajaokuta highway
- Amosun, 3000 others defect to PDP in Ogun
- 60 opposition members endorse Gbajabiamila/Wase ticket
- I have no issues with my asset declaration, says Uzodinma
- MI Abaga Calls For The Removal Of The Infectious Disease Bill Proposed By The Nigerian Senate
- ‘Zone with two senators can’t produce Deputy Senate President’
- Afenifere, Fayose, others: victory well deserved
- Ambode inaugurates jetty, ferries
- Tambuwal promises to make Sokoto ‘great’
- Akeredolu, Fayemi, Ajimobi rally members-elect for Gbajabiamila
- Ajimobi hails commissioners, others at valedictory meeting