Scientists have discovered a new “killer immune cell” that could be used as a “universal” cancer cure.
Researchers at Cardiff University discovered a “T-cell” found in human blood that recognises and kills many types of cancer while ignoring healthy cells. The researchers suggest the cell could be used to develop a “one-size-fits-all” cancer treatment.
T-cell therapies for cancer – where immune cells are removed, modified and returned to the patient’s blood to seek and destroy cancer cells – are the latest paradigm in cancer treatments. The most widely used is known as CAR-T and is personalised to each patient. However, it only targets a limited number of cancers and has not been successful for solid tumours, which make up the majority of cancers.
But scientists have now discovered T-cells equipped with a new type of T-cell receptor (TCR) which can distinguish between healthy and diseased cells – only killing only the cancerous ones, Metri UK reports.
Professor Andrew Sewell, lead author on the study from Cardiff University’s School of Medicine, said it was “highly unusual” to find a TCR with such broad cancer specificity and this raised the prospect of universal cancer therapy.
He added: “We hope this new TCR may provide us with a different route to target and destroy a wide range of cancers in all individuals.
“Current TCR-based therapies can only be used in a minority of patients with a minority of cancers.
“Cancer-targeting via MR1-restricted T-cells is an exciting new frontier – it raises the prospect of a ‘one-size-fits-all’ cancer treatment; a single type of T-cell that could be capable of destroying many different types of cancers across the population.
“Previously nobody believed this could be possible.”
Conventional T-cells scan the surface of other cells to find anomalies and eliminate cancerous cells, but ignore cells that contain only “normal” proteins. The scanning recognises small parts of cellular proteins that are bound to cell-surface molecules called human leukocyte antigen (HLA), allowing killer T-cells to see what is occurring inside cells by scanning their surface. But the study, published in Nature Immunology, describes a unique TCR that can recognise many types of cancer via a single HLA-like molecule called MR1. Unlike HLA, MR1 is does not vary in the human population – meaning it is a hugely attractive new target for immunotherapies.
In the lab, T-cells equipped with the new TCR were shown to kill lung, skin, blood, colon, breast, bone, prostate, ovarian, kidney and cervical cancer cells, while ignoring healthy cells.
To test the therapeutic potential of these cells in vivo, the researchers injected T-cells able to recognise MR1 into mice bearing human cancer and with a human immune system.
Scientists say this showed encouraging cancer-clearing, comparable to the now NHS-approved CAR-T therapy in a similar animal model.
They were also able to demonstrate that T-cells of melanoma patients modified to express this new TCR could destroy not only the patient’s own cancer cells, but also other patients’ cancer cells in the laboratory, regardless of the patient’s HLA type.
The researchers are now experimenting to determine the precise molecular mechanism by which the new TCR distinguishes between healthy cells and cancer. They hope to trial the new approach in patients towards the end of the year.
- FORUM Nnamani seeks increased enlightenment, funding of sickle cell societies
- Sickle Cell World Day: 10 things you should know about the condition
- Hilarious reactions from Nigerians as it’s revealed that Chloroquine effectively inhibits coronavirus infection and spread
- Nine health benefits of tiger nuts….. By Dr~protocol
- HEALTH UPDATE: Here are the five most common conditions that can lead to faecal incontinence. By Dr~protocol
- HEALTH UPDATE: Here are the 10 quality Signs You’re Eating Too Much Sugar…. By Dr~protocol
- HEALTH UPDATE: Here are some things you need to avoid for you to have better healthy … By Dr~protocol
- Why Bitter Leaf, Scent Leaf Improve Diabetes Medication Effectiveness —Experts
- The Difference Between VLDL and LDL……… By Dr~protocol
- Semen analysis and infertility in men
- Predict your baby blood group
- HEALTH UPDATE: What you get from milk….. By Dr~protocol
- Lagos Govt Spends Up To N1m Daily On Each Coronavirus Patient – Health Commissioner, Abayomi
- Health benefits of drinking water— By Dr~Protocol
- These 3 Kinds Of Diet Are More Harmful Than Smoking