The Ohanaeze Ndigbo Youth Council Worldwide has urged the Federal Government to tighten security in the Southeast and South South between May 29 and June 12.
The youths said tension is rising in the two zones and urged the Federal Government to rise to the occasion and act now.
The group listed Aba, Abakiliki, Awka, Afikpo, Enugu, Owerri, Yenagoa, Port Harcourt, Calabar, Warri, Sapele and Umuahia as places that require tight security.
President-General of the council Okechukwu Isiguzoro, in a statement yesterday, called on the Presidency to reach out to Biafra agitators and Niger Delta militants before it is too late.
He said: “This is not the time to set up committees or for cosmetics approach to the looming danger in the Southeast and Southsouth. “We appeal to the Presidency to reach out to Biafra agitators and Niger Delta Militia before it’s too late. With the current insecurity in the North, and impending showdown waiting for the Presidency in the Southeast and South, Nigeria is sitting on a keg of gunpowder waiting to explode.
“The Federal and state governments should do the needful; there should be proper security in all the major towns of Aba, Abakiliki, Awka, Afikpo, Enugu, Owerri, Yenagoa, Port Harcourt, Calabar, Warri, Sapele, Umuahia between May 29 and June 12 to secure lives and property.
“The signing of executive order banning the use of firearms and revoking of license of guns, effective from June 1, a day Niger Delta militia are threatening to declare the Niger Delta Republic, and also the impending showdown that may likely occur between sit-at-home Biafra agitators and security agents on May 30, are worrisome because the second term of President Muhammadu Buhari may likely begin with bloodshed.”
- Ex-militant ‘Generals’ in Niger Delta demand sack of acting MD of NDDC
- Read the last chat of Hilkmat Gbadamosi, UNIPORT Student who committed suicide
- June 12: Don seeks foundation
- ‘Zone with two senators can’t produce Deputy Senate President’
- Jilted lady allegedly commits suicide on Boxing Day in Bayelsa (graphic photo)
- Abia local government chairman slumps and dies during meeting
- Six suspected kidnappers killed in shootout with police in Rivers
- Ohanaeze: Ndigbo should be ready for self-defence
- ‘Why Lagos, Ondo, Niger, Benue, Imo, Cross River, others must prepare for flooding’
- Beauty queen unveils anti malaria campaign