A chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Edo State, Comrade Godwin Erhahon, has described as unnecessary, the tension over whether or not Governor Godwin Obaseki would secure a second term ticket.
Erhahon said it was too early for party chieftains to fight over who gets the party ticket for the 2020 governorship election.
The chieftain, who addressed reporters in Benin City, blamed Obaseki for the tension and crisis rocking the Edo APC.
According to him, the party has been run in a manner that does not sustain and promote the original foundation of the party since Obaseki assumed office.
He said: “Whether Obaseki will contest or not is too early to generate the kind of heat that is generating now in Edo. But, unfortunately, Obaseki is responsible for the tension because he has been able to establish himself as a man with hatred and ego.
“After the 2016 governorship primaries, Obaseki has been hostile to his co-contestant and those who did not support. He has also refused to recognise any of his co-contestants as a party leader.
“A good politician, once you win the primaries, does away with the acrimony generated during the campaign, and brings everybody on board, but when you relegate stakeholders and leaders who contested with you, there is no way they will not fight for relevance.
“If Obaseki had not been hostile to too many people, the battle would not have been this hot. It is not absolutely true that all those who are against him are doing so in solidarity with former Governor Adams Oshiomhole, but because Obaseki has done everything desperately to suppress party leaders, and we going for another primary, they also want to prove a point that they are relevant.”
- Edo state governor, Godwin Obaseki, threatens to expel Adams Oshiomole from APC
- Edo APC crisis: Edo women sue for peace
- Call warring leaders to order, APC chieftain tells President
- Estranged APC aspirants urge Osinbajo to accommodate them
- Shittu calls for Oshiomhole’s resignation
- Fayemi, Oni: What next after Supreme Court verdict?
- Breaking: Dino Melaye joins Kogi governorship race
- INEC declares PDP winner of Gov, Senatorial, House of Reps elections
- APC senatorial candidate leads 20,000 supporters back to PDP
- Adams Oshiomhole’s mum rejects Governor Obaseki’s Christmas gifts
- Efficient Health Insurance Scheme’ll attract investment to healthcare sector – Obaseki
- APC’s decision on NASS leadership is supreme, says Nabena
- Olorunrinu: ‘Nigerians Should Beg Tinubu To Contest 2023 Presidency’
- Breaking: Sanwo-Olu’s election as Lagos gov. upheld by Supreme court
- Zamfara: INEC meets on Supreme Court judgment