An FCT High Court Maitama on Friday remanded Philomina Chieshe and five other Joint Admission and Matriculation Board officials, over their involvement in the missing N35 million from sales of JAMB e-card in Benue.
She was arriagned alongside Samuel Umoru, Yakubu Jekada, Daniel Agbo, Priscilla Ogunsola, and Aliyu Yakubu.
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC ) arraigned her and others on eight counts bordering on refusal to account for the board’s money between 2014 to 2016.
Justice Peter Afen ordered that the defendants be remanded in the custody of EFCC, pending the out come of their bail application.
He then adjourned until Monday June 3, 2019 for the hearing of their bail application.
EFCC alleged that Chieshe , sales clerk, with JAMB told their registrar and his team that she could not account for N36 million she made in previous years before the abolition of scratch cards.
They alleged that she claimed that the money was swallowed by a snake in Makurdi, Benue.
According to EFCC in February 2018, Chieshe told JAMB registrar and his team that she could not account for N36 million she made in previous years before the abolition of scratch cards.
She alleged that it was her housemaid that connived with another JAMB staff, to “spiritually” (through a snake) steal the money from the vault in the accounts office.
EFCC said these contravened section 139 (a) of the Penal Code Law.
They pleaded not guilty to the allegations.
The prosecuting counsel, Mr Ekene Iheanacho prayed the court to fix a date for commencement of trial and to remand the defendants in jail.
Iheanacho also admitted receipt of the bail applications filed by lawyers to defendants, he said he hasn’t read through because he was served today.
- EFCC kicks as convicted Orji Kalu begs court for bail
- 12-year jail term: EFCC opposes bail for Orji Kalu
- (Updated) Court Rejects Orji Kalu’s Bail Application
- Court jails ex-NIMASA DG Obi seven years
- BREAKING NEWS: Alleged fraud: Naira Marley remanded in prison
- EFCC seeks final forfeiture of Patience Jonathan’s $5.7m, N2.4bn
- Student in court over alleged theft of 16 ATM cards
- $40m laundering charge: Jonathan’s cousin freed
- EFCC advises Nigerians on the steps to take before contacting them if one’s Facebook account is hacked
- Court orders Naira Marley to appear before it Jan 14
- Court orders arrest, arraignment of Naira Marley over alleged car theft
- Ex-NIMASA chief jailed for N378m fraud
- Kalu to court: Free me on bail, I need my herbalist . Senator tendered one-year-old medical report, says EFCC
- Patience Jonathan’s sister: N155m found in my account not stolen
- Former AGF, Mohammed Adoke freed from EFCC custody