An FCT High Court in Maitama has sentenced Maryam Sanda to death by hanging for killing her husband, Bilyaminu Bello.
The court found Sanda guilty of killing her husband on Monday, January 27, 2020, and thus convicted her of the charges. Sanda had on November 19, 2017 stabbed her husband to death following an allegation of infidelity against him after seeing a text message on his phone.
Bilyaminu was son of former Peoples Democratic Party National Chairman, Dr Haliru Bello.
Earlier, the judge stood down the matter for five minutes following the drama that ensued after the conviction was passed. According to Daily Trust, Sanda fled the dock immediately the judge convicted her. However, court officials and prisons officials dragged her back into the dock.
The judge was forced to rise after several women started wailing in the court room
One of them who made attempt to approach Maryam was ordered to be taken away by the judge. Justice Yusuf Halliru rose for 5 minutes to return for sentencing.
Maryam kept wailing and shouting “Inna lilahi Inna roji hun”, while efforts are being made by her family and lawyer to console her.
She was heard saying, “I was fasting and praying … Ya Allah, why?” as court officials announced that the judge was about to return for sentencing.
Sympathisers were pictured weeping as officials whisked Maryam Sanda away from the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) High Court in Abuja after she was sentenced to death on January 27, 2020.
See photos below…
Photo Credit: Channels TV/ Sodiq Adelakun
- Alleged debt: Court dismisses bank’s suit against Petrocam
- Absence of defence counsel stalls Tuface’ N53m libel suit against Blackface
- Absence of defence counsel stalls Tuface’s libel suit against Blackface
- Court jails ex-NIMASA DG Obi seven years
- Former AGF, Mohammed Adoke freed from EFCC custody
- 6 months old baby summoned to Brussels court
- Sister of pregnant woman who died after childbirth in Lagos speaks to Afrikanbaze, denies reports her deceased sister’s hubby beat her to deathjh
- Trailer kills LASTMA official on duty
- Court orders Naira Marley to appear before it Jan 14
- Ogun APM Guber Candidate Returns to APC