Eight suspected traffic robbers were at the weekend arrested by the police in Lagos during a raid to tackle crimes, the command said yesterday.
Seven of the suspects were nabbed near Ketu and Kosofe, one was held at Festac Town, said spokesman Bala Elkana, a Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP), in a statement.
Elkana said Police Commissioner Zubairu Muazu had directed an onslaught on hoodlums, who usually took advantage of gridlock to unleash terror on motorists.
Among those arrested were a certain Garbazine, Ayomide Ayobami and Taye Onafowokan, both living at Agboyi Ketu and Bamidele Ogunbanjo, 30.
He said a police surveillance team at about 5:30am on May 24, foiled a robbery attempt at Kosofe where Garbazine and two others were apprehended. The police recovered a phone from them and returned it to the owner.
“The same day, the surveillance team at the same spot arrested two traffic robbery suspects attempting to rob road users. Two jack knives and a toy pistol were recovered from them.
“On the same day, at about 12:05am, a surveillance patrol team deployed in Ketu bus stop arrested two traffic robbery suspects- Ayomide Ayobami and Taye Onafowokan, both living at Agboyi Ketu. A pistol with three live ammunition and a jack knife were recovered from them.
“On the same day at about 1am, a surveillance patrol team attached to Festac Police Station arrested Bamidele Ogunbanjo, 30, of Prayer Estate, Amuwo Odofin. One locally- made pistol with one live ammunition was recovered,” Elkana said.
The spokesman, who confirmed an earlier report by The Nation on the death of a motorcyclist, his wife and six-year-old son at Aga in Ikorodu, said reports made at the Igbogbo Division indicated that the man, Enifeh Akupa Omomo (Charles Enifa), 42, killed his wife, Faith and the boy, Glorious, before committing suicide.
He also confirmed The Nation’s report last week about two young men found dead inside a grocery shop at Ojota.
The police said they arrested two suspected cultists during the matriculation at Yaba College of Technology (Yabatech) on May 21.
Elkana said a distress call was received by the policemen from Sabo Division and Balogun Oluwadamilare, 24, as well as Badmus Idris, 23, were arrested.
“One Baretta pistol with four live ammunition and three expended ammunition were recovered from the suspects. Investigation is on. The suspects will be charged to court,” he said.
- Police arrest armed robbery suspects in Nsukka
- 86 suspected cultists arrested in Lagos, 11 pistols recovered
- Police gun down two suspected armed robbers in Anambra (graphic photo)
- Scores held as police battle criminals in Lagos, others
- Six suspected kidnappers killed in shootout with police in Rivers
- Men who specialize in stealing cars from churches arrested in Lagos
- Police gun down three armed robbery suspects in Anambra, arrest two others (graphiv photos)
- 17 suspected cultists arrested in Lagos (photo)
- Parade suspects responsible for Kolade Johnson’s death – Ruggedman declares
- Three arrested by police for stealing a 4-year-old child in Ogun
- Exclusive update: Lagos police command confirms arrest of 11 miscreants during Naira Marley’s concert
- Two armed robbery suspects arrested in Ogun (photo)
- 20 arrested over clash between Okada riders and police in Ijora, Lagos state (photo)
- Cultists clash: 4 killed, 2 arrested in Lagos..
- 3 sentenced to death by hanging for the 2016 Osun Bank robbery that claimed many lives