The PDP Senate caucus said the APC senators should leave Saraki out of the jostle by Senators-elect of the ruling party over who and who gets elected into the leadership of the Ninth Senate.
In a statement by Senate Minority Leader, Senator Biodun Olujimi and Chairman, Senate Committee on Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Sen. Dino Melaye, and made available to on Tuesday, the PDP caucus stated it has observed closely as the contenders for the various Senate leadership posts in the APC sponsor various publications in the media to make it appear that Saraki is seeking to play a role in who occupies the various leadership posts in the next Senate.
he PDP Senate caucus warned such surreptitious attempts to drag Saraki into the issue that does not concern him would not augur well for the smooth take-off of the next Senate and could only create suspicion and ill-will among the incumbent Senators and the incoming ones.
“We have noted with regret and surprise how some Senators who are interested in becoming the next Senate President and those seeking to occupy various leadership positions in the next Senate have been busy dragging the name of the Senate President, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki, into their schemes for fulfilling their ambitions. We believe those involved in this dirty game are only afraid of the shadow of the Senate President.
“Such people should know that Dr. Saraki is not interested in their plots, schemes andmanipulation. His concern now is to continue to provide leadership to the Eighth Senate and to ensure that the Senate achieves as much as it is possible in the remaining two months of its tenure.
obvious that many Senators and even Senators-elect still defer to Saraki. And this is understandable because he is a national leader of the PDP.
“He is a respected Senator who has also provided solid leadership for the Senate. So, those who are afraid of his influence should find a positive way to deal with that, not sponsoring falsehood in the media.
They went on: “Let it be known that no matter the mischief being sponsored by these spineless people, Dr. Saraki knows that it is the duty of all Senators in the Ninth Senate to elect their Senate President and other leaders.
“Nobody from outside the Senate has such powers. It is also the right of every Senator to aspire to that position as stated by the constitution. He has benefitted from this practice of Senators within the chambers exercising the right. He is conscious of this fact and will not be a party to any plan to seize or interfere with the process of evolving the leadership of the Ninth Senate.
“We, therefore, urge the APC gladiators and their handlers to leave Saraki out of their schemes and manipulations. They should go and concentrate on how to convince the Senators-elect and ensuring that the election of the next Senate President takes place in a conducive atmosphere with a view to strengthening the institution and making it perform its constitutional roles, without any hindrance.”
- Senate Presidency: Goje, Ndume, Lawan lobby PDP senators
- ‘Zone with two senators can’t produce Deputy Senate President’
- No crisis in Senate, says spokesman
- Youths caution Enang over deputy Senate President slot
- Move to pass vote of confidence in Lawan suffers setback in Senate
- Valedictory ends tenure for 66 senators, 135 House members
- June 11 fixed for National Assembly inauguration
- ‘How Lawan can become Senate President’
- Buhari mobilises governors for Lawan, Gbajabiamila
- 12 Kaduna members-elect back Gbajabiamila/Wase for House leadership
- Delta APC endorse Omo-Agege for Deputy Senate President
- Saraki: let’s use democracy to entrench peace, development
- Police shake-up coming to stem rising crime wave
- This isn’t a trial, it’s a cover up!’ – Democrats angry after Senate leadership releases new rules for Donald Trump’s impeachment trial
- Buhari approves Ahmed Kadi Amshi as Chairman, NASC …Two additional members for NAHCON