Four Police operatives in Afuze Police Station, Edo State, were, Tuesday evening, murdered by persons suspected to be gunmen.
Afuze is the administrative headquarters of Owan East Local Government Area of Edo State.
Those killed included a pregnant Police Sergeant simply identified as Justina.
The DPO and the DCO of the station and one other were also killed.
The slain policewoman was said to have been recently transferred from Benin to Afuze, and was said to have been on duty at the Police Station when the hoodlums struck.
It was gathered that the assailants attacked the DPO’s office with dynamite, before they shot other Police operatives on duty.
Unconfirmed reports had it that the DPO, who had been at home, was lured back to the station under the pretence that he had some visitors.
The gunmen, who were said to be heavily armed, reportedly broke into the cells and released everyone in custody.
It was, however, gathered that three of the fleeing suspects have since been rearrested
The suspects also reportedly invaded INEC premises in Afuze, where they allegedly set ablaze a Police Hilux van.
When contacted on phone, the State Police Commissioner, Mr. Hakeem Odumosu, said he was in Abuja and that he had yet to return from election duty.
The Police PRO, Chidi Nwabuzor, however, failed to answer calls made to his mobile phone.
- Suspected Port Harcourt serial killer, Gracious David-West identifies 7 victims in mortuary
- How Yahoo Boys subjected Aso Rock Director Dagan Laetitia Naankang to a slow death before burning her body
- Police arrest eight suspected traffic robbers
- Police gun down three armed robbery suspects in Anambra, arrest two others (graphiv photos)
- Scores held as police battle criminals in Lagos, others
- Gallant Nigerian Navy officer allegedly killed by suspected militants in Rivers State
- Two armed robbery suspects arrested in Ogun (photo)
- 17 suspected cultists arrested in Lagos (photo)
- Two farmers beheaded by suspected armed militia in Taraba
- Four suspected cultists held for ‘murder’