Senator Smart Adeyemi on Tuesday lamented the poor condition of roads in Kogi state even as he urged the Federal Government to pay more attention to federal roads transversing the state.
Adeyemi’s remarks followed a motion on the floor of the upper chamber on the “Urgent Need for Rehabilitation of Itobe -Ajaokuta Road,” moved by the Senator representing Kogi East, Jibrin Isah.
The Senate in its resolution mandated the Federal Roads Maintenance Agency, ( FERMA) to commence immediate palliative work on the road.
Senator Isah in his lead debate noted that the Itobe – Ajaokuta road in Kogi state, is a major route for commuters and motorists, in particular, from South East, part of North Central and Kogi East to Abuja and other parts of the North.
He noted with worry ”that a portion of the road, covering about five kilometers has deteriorated so much so that commuters and motorists spend about two hours on this portion.”
While calling for emergency repairs on the road, Senator Isa said with the temporary closure of Enugu Airport, many Nigerians from the South East geopolitical zone are being forced to use the route from Abuja.
In his contribution, Senator Adeyemi who represents Kogi West, said the deplorable state of roads in Kogi state was as a result of the location of the state which had nine major states sharing boundaries with it using the Trunk A Roads.
He insisted that the quest to make the roads motorable for Kogi citizens and other Nigerians has led the Kogi State Government to spend huge sums of money to make the roads passable.
“Travellers do not want to know that such roads are federal government roads which compelled Kogi state government to maintain and rehabilitate such major roads,” Adeyemi said.
He, however, called for more refunds from the federal government to Kogi state government, adding that the N10billion refunded this year was the outstanding fund spent about three years ago on some federal roads.
He insisted that apart from Lagos, no other state can boast of the heavy traffic being witnessed across Kogi state due to the nine states bordering it.
- Yuletide: FG urges Nigerians to be patient over bad roads
- FG Decides On Interstate Travel Ban, Others Next Week
- No man should have this much wealth when his only job was to be a senator – Speed Darlington slams Dino Melaye
- Breaking: Dino Melaye joins Kogi governorship race
- Coronavirus: We would evacuate Nigerians in China if the need arises – FG
- How I was chased with cutlasses, by Oyo Senator
- Our government hates us- Bolanle Olukanni, Ifuennada, others react to Lagos state government’s decision to ban Okada, Keke NAPEP
- Buhari approves Ahmed Kadi Amshi as Chairman, NASC …Two additional members for NAHCON
- Buhari is most democratic ex-military head of state – Bello
- APC senatorial candidate leads 20,000 supporters back to PDP
- 20 arrested over clash between Okada riders and police in Ijora, Lagos state (photo)
- Freeing ex-Boko Haram terrorists is suspicious and troubling – CAN
- Oshiomhole’ll destroy APC before 2023 polls – Okorocha
- Buhari has performed well, says Kalu
- Buhari accuses NASS of inflating debt figures for states