The Rivers Police Command on Friday killed six alleged kidnap suspects in shootouts with the police.
Police Commissioner Usman Belele told reporters in Port Harcourt that his men had stormed the suspects’ hideout at Eneka in Obio/Akpor Local Government Area of Rivers.
On sighting the police, the suspects allegedly opened fire ,wounding two police officers.
Belel said when his officers returned fire, five gang members were “fatally wounded.”
They were taken to University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital (UTPH) but were confirmed dead by a medical doctor.
The CP also said that one Ntuariuwa a.k.a “change the world”, described as a notorious kidnapper on police wanted list, was also “fatally” wounded and killed in a separate shootout with the police, bringing the number of killed alleged kidnappers to six.
In another development, the command also arrested 20 suspected criminals in connection with various offences.
According the commissioner, 12 of the suspects were arrested in connection with alleged cult activities, four for alleged kidnapping and another four for alleged robbery.
He said the command foiled two robbery attempts, recovered three AK47 assault rifles and five locally made pistols.
Others included three pump action guns, eight machetes, five magazines, 60 ammunition and 40 cartridges.
The CP said the feat was recorded in May, adding that the command would make Rivers uncomfortable for criminals.
- Scores held as police battle criminals in Lagos, others
- Police gun down three armed robbery suspects in Anambra, arrest two others (graphiv photos)
- Police gun down two suspected armed robbers in Anambra (graphic photo)
- Parade suspects responsible for Kolade Johnson’s death – Ruggedman declares
- Police arrest armed robbery suspects in Nsukka
- 86 suspected cultists arrested in Lagos, 11 pistols recovered
- Men who specialize in stealing cars from churches arrested in Lagos
- Police parade ‘killer’ of NYSC member, 18 others
- Cult war claims four lives in Delta
- Police arrest eight suspected traffic robbers
- Three arrested by police for stealing a 4-year-old child in Ogun
- 20 arrested over clash between Okada riders and police in Ijora, Lagos state (photo)
- Two armed robbery suspects arrested in Ogun (photo)
- Police arrest suspected killers of Moradeun Balogun, lady who was stabbed in Lagos
- Suspected Port Harcourt serial killer, Gracious David-West identifies 7 victims in mortuary