All seems tense in Anambra State – no thanks to threat issued by the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) to security agencies over the enforcement of its May 30 sit-at-home order.
In a statement yesterday in Awka, the Anambra State capital, the outlawed association said that no intimidation and harassment from security operatives would make its members to withdraw the planned enforcement of its order.
But Police Commissioner Mustapha Dandaura warned the Biafran agitators not to dare security agencies.
He said the police would not tolerate any breach of the law by any group.
In a statement by Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) Mohammed Haruna, the police chief reminded those threatening fire and brimstone to know that IPOB has been proscribed.
He said the police would not allow any miscreant or group to disrupt the peace in the state.
Haruna said the Joint Task Force (JTF) would not be intimidated by any form of threats from proscribed and faceless people, adding that any person or persons that would cause a breach of peace would have himself or herself to blame.
He said that already, the command, in conjunction with sister agencies, had deployed enough patrol vehicles to all the flashpoints, including Ekwulobia, Nnewi, Awka, Onitsha and its environs, adding that they are battle ready.
In the IPOB statement, the agitators had ordered their members and the Igbo to stay at home on May 30 to protest the killings of their heroes during the civil war and others in recent times.
A spokesman for the proscribed group, Emma Powerful, vowed to die in the cause instead of allowing IPOB to be brow-beaten into submission.
The group alleged that Biafra had been under siege and must be rescued in the interest of unborn children.
The statement reads: “The indomitable IPOB family worldwide wishes to remind the Nigerian army, police and their collaborators within and without that threats, lies, propaganda, misinformation, arrests, torture, illegal detention, a corrupt complicit judiciary only serve to strengthen our resolve to restore Biafra not diminish it.”
“But one thing is guaranteed; the day of reckoning will come, when heaven and earth cannot contain the rage of the oppressed.
“On that day, every person or persons that ever partook in the persecution of IPOB will pay dearly for it – they, and members of their families.
“We have resolved to make every sacrifice needed to ensure Biafra is liberated, therefore, we are prepared for this wave of onslaught against IPOB.
“We are consoled by the fact that the whole world is taking stock of what IPOB is being forced to endure because a time will come when the hunter will become the hunted.
“Biafra Remembrance Day is on Thursday, 30th of May, and Biafrans must not come out on that day. It will serve as a reminder to the overlords in Nigeria that we Biafrans are united in our quest to be free from the iniquitous bondage called Nigeria.
“IPOB is a disciplined movement that cannot abdicate its obligation to the dead. We owe it to our fallen heroes and heroines to honour them in the finest traditions of IPOB on May 30.
“No matter how many troops they deploy on our streets, or how many people they kill or arrest, Biafraland will be locked down on that fateful day.
- Nnamdi Kanu threatens to hunt down the children of Abia Police Commissioner, Ene Okon
- May 30 Sit-at-home order: Tension as Police, IPOB, MASSOB renew offensive
- Corpses of Nnamdi Kanu’s parents arrives hometown in Rolls Royce (photos)
- Suspected cultists bury police informants alive in Rivers (photos)
- IPOB’s sit-at-home order: Ohanaeze urges govt to strenghten security in Southeast, Southsouth’
- President Muhammadu Buhari will be launching a campaign against open defecation in the country. The campaign “Clean Nigeria, Use Toilet,” is to be launched at a date yet to be announced. The campaign is part of the efforts to achieve an end to open defecation in the country by 2025. About 47 million people still defecate openly in Nigeria according to records. Also, only 10 out of 774 local government areas have been certified open defecation free since the road map on sanitation 2016-2025 was launched by President Buhari. The Minister of Water Resources, Suliaman Adamu, said this while briefing alongside State House Corespondent at the end of the marathon weekly Federal Executive meeting at the presidential villa, Abuja. President Muhammadu Buhari presided over the meeting which went on break twice. Adamu said Nigeria has road map to end open defecation 2016-2025, adding that out of the 774 local government areas, only 10 are open defecation free. He said, “Ten out of 774 local governments is very dismal but it is work in progress. But we have also made some progress as 20 to 21,000 communities in the country today are open defecation free. The problem is we still have 47 million people practicing open defecation and Nigeria has been moving up the ladder since 2012 from being number four or five in the world to having the ranking of number two. India is number one but India has been working to end open defecation, in the last four years they have taken over 500 million out of open defecation. And India plans to declare itself open defecation free by October 2019. Once that happens, Nigeria will become the number one country in the world that practices open defecation. You will all agree with me that this is an honour we do not want to have. “So council approved a number of measures including the fact that Mr. President will launch the Clean Nigeria Campaign on a day to be decided. So our campaign is ‘clean Nigeria, use the toilet. “The president and cabinet members are to become ambassadors of clean Nigeria campaign by providing the needed leadership and commitment for successful implementation of the campaign. “We also hope to create a clean Nigeria movement and to harmonize ministerial activities so that we have a seamless approach regarding sanitization in the country. “We are also requesting for annual budget of N10.6 billion to be approved, this is not money that will be taken out of budget alone, we will also have contributions from development partners, corporate world including leveraging on corporate social responsibility, grants and to mobilize Nollywood, youths, children, women etc. “It will come with an executive order to give effect to the clean Nigeria campaign. All ministries are to establish specific budget lines and work plans to implementing their sector specific activities to end open defecation and improve sanitation in the country. “The campaign will also involve state governments and households. We intend to use community led sanitation and hinging more on behavioural change rather than doling out money.” The President had in November 2018, launched National Action Plan for Revitalizing the Water Supply, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), where he also declared a state of emergency on water and sanitation sector in Nigeria. An important aspect of the plan is for Nigeria to be open defecation free. The National Plan of Action is a significant political milestone towards achieving the United Nations Sustainable Development Goal 6 to reach everyone, everywhere with clean water and decent sanitation by 2030. FacebookTwi
- Rivers moves against cultism and kidnapping
- Adamu confirmed as IG, promises to re-organise police
- Two armed robbery suspects arrested in Ogun (photo)
- COVID-19: Security Agencies Must Enforce Ban On Interstate Travels – Lawan
- Ohanaeze: Ndigbo should be ready for self-defence
- Curfew in Bauchi as communal clash claims 3 lives
- Withdrawal of troops from troubled communities will be gradual – Buhari
- Third term agenda kicked off in September — Falana fires back at Garba Shehu
- Crisis brews in Ogun RTEAN as exco members allege threats by chairman