The cause of the fire outbreak at the popular Balogun market in Lagos state has been revealed.
Jubril Gawat, Senior Special Assistant (SSA) to the Lagos State Governor on New Media, said the fire started after someone, possibly a trader, attempted to refuel his generator while it was on. An explosion ensued and the fire immediately started spreading.
Dr. Femi Oke-Osanyintolu, spokesman, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, LASEMA, said a total of seven buildings were affected while two of the affected buildings has collapsed.
“This fire has escalated to adjoining buildings totaling seven (7) in number and now is being contained by the Emergency responders-Lagos State Fire Service and the Federal Fire Service and NPA Fire Service. Seven buildings are affected and one has collapsed.
All responders are on ground and progress is being made. We urge for calm and will provide further updates,” said Oke-Osanyintolu, LASEMA’s Director General.
Men of the state fire service are still at the scene trying to put out the fire.
- Fire guts Ogbete main market Enugu (photos)
- Floods: Lagos urges calm as heavy rains pound city
- Just in: Fire razes Adamawa girls college’s only hostel
- Live Updates: Ita-Faji Lagos school building collapse
- PDP secretariat in Bayelsa allegedly vandalized and set on fire after Supreme Court judgement (video)
- Fires razes over 400 shops in Anambra (photos)
- ‘Explosion’ reported at a busy London market (Photos)
- Angry mob sets Fire Station ablaze after fire guts popular market in Oyo
- 16 members of a family allegedly burnt to death in Kaduna
- Sanwo-Olu warns VIO, LASTMA against molesting motorists
- Lagos CRPP: Sanwo-Olu’s election free and fair
- Police trace Otedola bridge fire suspect to Kano
- Curfew in Bauchi as communal clash claims 3 lives
- [MUSIC] Berri – Fire
- Photos: Thugs attack residence of new Bayelsa governor-elect, Duoye Diri