President Buhari has commented on the planned withdrawal of the military from some communities in the country where peace has been restored.
In a statement released by the President’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity Garba Shehu, the Nigerian leader said the withdrawal will not be done in a manner that will expose communities to more risks of attacks.
The President who urged Nigerians and public affairs analysts to carefully study the statement releaaed after a security council meeting with service chiefs, said his “administration will not abandon citizens in need of protection.”
He further disclosed that that when it’s been confirmed that the withdrawal will not in any way jeopardize peace already achieved, the military pull out will be in a careful and gradual way.
President Buhari said;
“You don’t need to worry. We will not expose our people and their communities to harm or danger
“The withdrawal is to allow the military focus on its primary duty of defending the nation against external aggression. It is the duty of the police to handle internal security since Nigeria is not at war.
“The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps will support the police to provide internal security. When it is time to withdraw, nothing will be rushed.”
- Peterside: Buhari committed to Nigeria’s growth
- President Buhari won’t resign over insecurity – Lai Mohammed
- Buhari greets Nigerians on Ramadan
- Why I won’t interfere in Ganduje and Sanusi’s dispute – Buhari
- DSS allegedly arrest and detain journalist for publishing articles criticizing Buhari, Tinubu, EFCC
- Rivers moves against cultism and kidnapping
- Killings: Military chiefs storm Katsina on Buhari’s order
- Southsouth monarchs to Buhari: oil firms shun us
- Third term agenda kicked off in September — Falana fires back at Garba Shehu
- Falana, Fasanmi, Babatope others laud Buhari’s position on state police
- President Buhari speaks on the Coronavirus pandemic (video)
- ‘Buhari’s re-election best for Nigeria’
- Adamu confirmed as IG, promises to re-organise police
- CAN to Fed Govt: show more commitment to security
- Again, presidency debunks third term plan by Buhari